Sunday, July 22, 2012

Review: Witchful Thinking By H.P Mallory


Title: Witchful Thinking

Author: H.P. Mallory

Publication: Bantom (Random House)

Release Date: February 28, 2012

Book 3 in the Jolie Wilkens Series


Jolie thinks she’s seen it all, but life continues to spring surprises. The latest shocker? She’s just been crowned Queen of the Underworld. Jolie may possess a rare gift for reanimating the dead, but she doesn’t know the first thing about governing disparate factions of supernatural creatures. She can barely maintain order in her own chaotic personal life, which is heading into a romantic tailspin.

First there’s sexy warlock Rand, the love of her life, from whom Jolie is hiding a devastating secret. Then there’s Sinjin, a darkly seductive vampire and Jolie’s sworn protector—though others suspect he harbors ulterior motives. As the two polar opposite yet magnetic men vie for Jolie’s affection, she must keep her wits about her to balance affairs of state and affairs of her heart. Overwhelmed, under pressure, and longing for love, Jolie decides it’s time to take charge—and show everyone that this queen won’t take jack.


My Review
                     When I first received this book from the publisher earlier this year, I tried several times to get into it.  I would struggle through the first chapter or two and think….’What the heck is going on?’  After months of lugging it around in my suitcase during my travels I finally decided to buckle down and get rid of a few books; and one of those few books was Witchful Thinking by H.P. Mallory.

                Now, I hate it.  But I also love it when I can just pick up a random book and jump into the middle of a series, a lot of authors allow you to skip books and then retrace your steps back to the first book and if you love diving into the middle, a lot of authors let you sink or swim with a series.  Come to think of it, what had me really confused was the time travel in the beginning because Mallory never told the reader the date in modern times in Los Angeles and in the Underworld.  

                      And that doesn’t have to be a bad thing.  But starting the Jolie Wilkins series with book three was a little confusing to say the least, chapter one had Jolie and Rand meeting for what I thought was the first time, but apparently not.  As I got into the middle of Witchful Thinking though I found myself glued to the page.

                Witchful Thinking has werewolves, vampires, witches, fairies, demons, etc.  I mean I could go on and on with all the characters involved in this series.  I was fascinated to say the least but I was also a bit annoyed that there wasn’t any heavy duty sex involved in this book.  I mean with all the creatures Mallory created, I feel I was cheated.  I mean come on; there are vampires but no actual bloodletting?  Not even a little?

                Even though I was disappointed with the sexual aspect of this book, I would happily continue reading on in this series and maybe even backtracking to the first two books.

                                                          Review Update
       Since reading the last page, I can safely say there is sex; however it’s not scorching, but it is passionate. And I do so love the cliffhanger at the end, although you kinda knew it was coming. Since writing my review -which I did when I was 20 pages or so from the end-I can also safely say that I cannot wait to read the next book in this series.


Photobucket



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who doesn't like comments? Please leave as many as you like...